Thursday, December 4, 2008

Do They REALLY Get It?

I was just reading an article about the Big 3 automakers' plea to Congress to get bailout money to save their companies. I noticed that they drove fuel-efficient cars rather than flying in on their company jets. I noticed, in fact, that at least 2 of them said they'd sell their company jets. I noticed, too, that the United Auto Workers president was there, rallying for the car companies to get their money. The thing that hit me the most, though, was that they are asking for more money this time than they did the last time.

There was a time when I thought the *help* we needed was money. I thought if I could get a little bit of money to help with this problem, then we'd be ok. And for a while, we had friends and family that thought that, too...at least, they gave or loaned us money at the time. But about 5 years ago I realized that *money* wasn't really our problem. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly *what* the problem has been...but it wasn't having or not having money. There was something we had to change about the way we handled money...although I'm still not sure I know what that *something* is. But I digress....

The point is...I see the same problem here. More money is NOT going to help the Big 3. I agree with those who have said they just need to declare Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and move on from there. Granted, I don't understand all of the details...and I CERTAINLY do NOT have the experience of running a company to back me up. But I do know that when something isn't working right, it is simply INSANITY to try to do the same thing and expect it to change. I see the same issue with Wall Street. MORE MONEY isn't going to help. Things need to CHANGE!!!

Just my not-so-humble opinion.

No comments: