Friday, October 19, 2007

Reinstatement

I read a book not to long ago by Tim LaHaye called John's Story: The Last Eyewitness. It followed the apostle John through the last couple of years of his life. Obviously, there was some liberty taking in what he was thinking and feeling, but I really enjoyed the book, and got a lot out of it.

One of the things that the book covered was the writing of the Gospel of John. As many times as I've read that Gospel, I totally missed the reinstatement of Peter after his denial of Christ. I was so touched by it...and have been again the last few days...thinking about how much Jesus loved Peter to not just TELL him he was reinstated, but to SHOW him.

John 13:37-38 is where Peter claims that He would follow Jesus, even to death...and Jesus tells him that he will deny Him 3 times. I can only imagine how devastated Peter must have felt. I'm sure Peter didn't WANT that to be a part of who he was...and to have to face it from Jesus...OUCH! John 18:17, 25, and 27 are the fulfillment of this prophecy.

But look what happens later in John.

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

The more I think about this whole process, the more overwhelmed I am with God's love for me. I mean...Peter never asked Jesus to help him deal with this. Jesus KNEW Peter's heart...He KNEW that Peter didn't WANT to deny him...but that he would out of fear...and He KNEW that it was important to Peter to *feel* restored to Him!

What this speaks to me is that...no matter how *silly* I feel about what I think I need, Jesus doesn't think it's silly. When I'm willing to face and be faced with my own humanity, He's willing and able, not just to put a band-aid on it and tell me it's ok, but to help me through the situation so that I can come to a place where I *feel* restored! The truth is, I already am...because of His blood...but He understands that sometimes I need to *see* it.

No comments: